The next train connecting was leaving Chicago around 3:00 to go to New Mexico. It was scheduled to arrive there the next day at 2 p.m., so it was a 24 hour leg on this trip. I should have known when the sour faced woman greeted me to take my ticket that this wasn’t going to be as friendly of a train as the last one. It was a large double decker and she said we had to sit in the seat she assigned; unlike the last one where we just grabbed an open seat of our choice. I got into my seat and there was a woman in her early 60’s sitting next to me. At first she seemed harmless, asking us where we were from. But then she sat up in her chair on her knees, peered behind her and started talking to the people there too. She left and came back, beer and nuts in hand and said” I’m being naughty” and put her tray table down. She leaned in closer to me with her dyed red hair and started telling me about her life and the Missouri River. On the other seat in the row across was a clean cut woman with short cropped hair. She carefully opened some food she brought and took out her cell phone. She told me she had just been in New York as well, in Chelsea. Then she said she was on her way to move to Los Angeles to stay in a homeless shelter. A few rows in front were a young mom and her 2 year old daughter. I had seen them in Chicago in the lobby. She kept yelling to her daughter” STOP IT, I said SHUT UP” over and over again. I had been thinking what a horrible woman she was and was happy that I only had to encounter her for a minute. Or so I thought. Way up in the front of the car were two middle aged, gray and slightly round coke heads. They stayed up all night talking loudly with newspapers strewn everywhere. When I woke up at 8 am the next day one of them was still awake and was talking to a woman next to him. You could see the look of horror in her face from the smell of beer coming off him but she was just too nice to walk away. I spent most of this train in the observation car. I was happy that the nazi seat assignment enforcers let me go to another car to sleep that night though. All in all, I was still happy I took the train. Here is what it looked like along the way: